Thursday, February 14, 2013

Misty eyed Valentine's day

For the record, I am not known as a crier, but I had myself a misty eyed moment this morning before breakfast.

A sleepy Tori was my first kiddo to make an appearance this Valentine's morning in the kitchen. She arrived with a hand made card in hand that she wanted to give to me - before even looking at her V-day goodies waiting for her at the table.

She apparently had worked on the card after going to bed last night. (of course I knew something was up as she went to her room last night carrying a roll of tape ;) - sometimes it is best not to ask!)

In normal Tori-card sweetness she decorated it with hearts and such, but when I opened it up, there awaited the crazy surprise........

She had taped two $20 bills inside.

What? 

Kinda awkward since I know that is a pretty large chunk of money that she has been collecting for a while - Christmas/birthday/chore money.

I'm thinking (and explaining out loud) oh, honey that is so sweet, but mommy & daddy don't need your money. I totally appreciate the gift you want to give and the heart behind it, but we have our own money to use on things we need.

Basically trying to talk her out of a gift in a loving way.

Which is when Tori said, "No, mom. I want you and dad to have it. Not to use ON you, but I thought you could use it for flying to Ethiopia when you pick up my baby sister."


And cue the mist. For the typical non-crier that I am, I couldn't have gotten any closer.

You see. Tori, my sweet little gal, is a giver. Hands down. It is definitely a God given gift. We have seen it time and time again throughout her little life. She looks for needs of others and tries to meet them how she can in her 7 year old capacity. Don't get me wrong, she's not perfect (my drama girl!) but it is amazing to see little twinklings of what is to come.

It also makes me realize, as I get older, that there is nothing more touching then watching your own children do something loving and giving. Unprompted.

My mama's heart has swelled.

I can only imagine how God's father heart swells when He see's His children acting in the same way.


1 comment:

  1. This is lovely, Cheryl. Thank you for sharing. The Tor-ster is such a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete