Monday, September 23, 2013

Tons of apples and a tune for your Tuesday......

So, dear reader, with absolutely nothing noteworthy taking place on the adoption front - I am going to focus my blog attentions on the cute little people that already reside in my home.

This past Saturday we loaded up the fam to go apple picking. It was the first time yours truly had been apple picking since on a field trip as a KINDERGARTENER. Yes, 5 year old Cheryl. Short boy haircut and all (thanks Pierre. I mean, Dad). This Saturday was also the first time that my children had seen apples in their actual growing state, not just in a bin at our local Walmart.

One could say we were a bit overdue for this experience.

Just a bit.

So overdue that apparently my eldest child, in all his years of book learning, had missed the important factoid of how apples grew. In the wild. You know, on trees. He actually said these words to me "I can't believe apples grow on trees, I thought they grew on vines."

Let that sink in.

Those words seriously came out of my own child's mouth.  

Parenting. Fail.

I worked my way through that failure knowing that Jake now holds the knowledge of apple growing truth. No longer will he live in the dark. He can take that knowledge back to school. Telling all the other 4th graders who may not yet know......"apples grow on trees. I've seen it with my own eyes."

Here are some pics from our apple picking extravaganza.......









 The fun has continued as we've begun the processing of our apples. The kids had a blast with the apple peeler/corer/slicer gadget.....that I tried so hard to get rid of a few years back because we NEVER used it (in our 10 years of marriage), but Jason wouldn't let me. He apparently had dreams for that little gadget and what it could produce. Dreams that were fulfilled tonight - and will continue to be fulfilled as he feasts on applesauce, apple chips, apple pies & crisps. So let the record now state, that was a good save Jason, a good save. You were right dear ;)






Tuesday's tune is one of my favorites, take a moment to listen - you won't regret it.

The One Thing
Paul Coleman





No comments:

Post a Comment