Saturday, September 6, 2014

GIVEAWAY!!!!

So you know how a few blog posts ago, I mentioned how those of you that have stuck with this blog for so long deserve some sort of reward? Well, it is time! Having just gotten back this week from Ethiopia and making some purchases from Connected in Hope's weaving compound in country, I thought this would be a good opportunity to show you all some love while at the same time highlighting this amazing NGO.

Connected in Hope (former firewood carriers association) was founded by an adoptive mom who saw a need. Teaching women a skill and providing income generating programs, education, afterschool programs, social work services and adult literacy/education programs is giving these women a hand up. The program not only creates opportunity for women with limited options, but it also works to make sure their family stays preserved. I encourage you to check out there website - you will find opportunities not just to purchase items and learn how you could host a trunk show that would help support these women, but you will get a glimpse into a different life. A glimpse that is invaluable, because let me tell you first hand, the way we live here in America? Oh peeps. We are wealthy. Ridiculously wealthy. With that glimpse, with that knowledge? We can use our dollars purposefully and help - whether that be choosing to purchase quality products that give back and support those in need or by donating.

Pictures are worth 1,000 words, so here you go.........keep scrolling for the giveaway!

A typical firewood carrier's load is 70-80lbs, walked 10 miles down a mountain and sells in the market for a dollar.
Former firewood carrier, now artisan working on a scarf. Each scarf takes approximately 2 hours to complete.
Sign outside of Connected in Hope's compound I visited in Addis at the base of Mt. Entono
Weaver inside the shop where completed scarves are ready to sell and/or ship
 Amazing, right? So obviously I am giving away scarves.........two to be exact! 

To enter the drawing, leave a comment on this blog post (don't worry when it doesn't show up immediately, I moderate my comments due to trollers who occasionally spew negativity, so there will be some delay, but will eventually show up :) OR if you are a fb friend of me or my hubs, you can leave a comment on the fb status that contains this blog post. 

What should your comment contain? Identifying info of who you are (it would be hard to send an anonymous person something) and a favorite color or two.......since I have a wide variety of scarf colors - that way, if you are one of the two lucky winners, I can send you the scarf of your dreams that has a story behind it! 

The drawing will take place NEXT Saturday at 9am, and the winners will be announced on the blog.

There you have it folks. 

Finally a short-term reward for keeping up with this adoption story for so long! Whew. It's about time!

5 comments:

  1. Hi!
    My name is Abra, I'm a friend of Katie's, and followed the link to your site from her blog. :) My favorite color? Green, but one of these scarves of any color would be so cool!

    This type of program has such an important impact on local people, and globally as well. Knowledge is power! Do you know if the weaving methods are a local tradition of some kind, or where they come from if not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abra :)

      Honestly, I'm not sure about the weaving methods, if they are a local tradition or not. I do know from being in country that they do hand dye the materials they use and then use the looms pictured - which are quite hard to manipulate. Our first trip I gave it a shot (because they made it look so easy) but it definitely is a skill that is developed over time - the weavers do it so fast, it is crazy! Ethiopia is widely known for their beautiful textiles, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out if the methods were local tradition.....since they've been around a long time (as that is where the oldest remains ever found were from there and that is where coffee originated, love it!) Such a rich heritage in that country! Can't wait to pass all of that along to my little miss.....

      Delete
  2. Very cool. What a journey you all have been on. Thanks for sharing about all you've gotten to experience firsthand! Love you guys! PS--green/blue/purple or yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Calder Family! I have been following this blog/journey for approximately two years. I am so thankful to have been a witness of God's faithfulness throughout this adoption process. My prayers continue to be with your family. My favorite colors are gray and blue. My name is Dana KD. God bless!

    ReplyDelete