Today was an amazing day!
Our visiting with the kiddos was as fun as ever. It is amazing to see the difference a few days has made - especially with Rhonda’s little man, since he is a bit older. He was tentative at first and now that he has warmed up and he is all about interacting with his mama. How fun that has been to watch. Being able to learn about their personalities, seeing just how much the nannies at the foster home LOVE them - it is priceless!
We met a couple today for lunch, Carmen & Trent Post, who started Make Your Mark ministries here in Ethiopia. They minister to street children to rehabilitate, educate and sometimes reunite with their families, they come along side about 80 families to help give them short term support so that families can stay together (orphan prevention), they are also work with global orphan summit which is trying to help (grassroots) in countries like Ethiopia to establish a foster type system and encourage people to adopt within their own country. It is like a trifecta of amazingness. After spending 4 days in Ethiopia, it was good to be able to talk to folks that have been living here for awhile to help us process what we’ve seen, how we can make a difference, etc. I left wowed at what God can do through His people when they follow his calling for them. What a testimony they have.
Then to top that off? We mentioned that we still needed to buy some Ethiopian coffee before we left and we got hooked up w/ their favorites. I am now a coffee bean importer :) Jason, be prepared!
Our visit took up the entire time (and then some) between the visiting hours, so they brought us directly to the foster home to visit the babes. During our visit, there must have been a show that the nannies who were coming off shift love to watch on Sundays and the visiting room is the only place there is a TV. So four of the nannies joined us in the room to watch a show. While they were with us in the visiting room, they noticed the photo books we had of our families and asked to see. Each one of them poured over each picture wanting to know who everyone was - husband, kids, grandparents, etc. It was so fun to tell them about the families these kids are going to be joining. These women are incredible. One thing I am continually in awe of is just how much the nannies love these kiddos. The babies just LIGHT UP when they see them. The nannies (when going to fetch things, coming on or off a shift, etc) always walk by and interact with the kiddos. Kissing them, getting smiles, talking to them, etc. Makes this mama’s heart so happy, that if I can’t be there, that someone is doting on my girl. Loving her, kissing her. She is getting the best care possible, I am sure of it!
We head home tomorrow evening. It is good that we stayed long enough that we are looking forward to going back, not wishing we had more time. I can’t wait to squeeze all my people! Please be praying for Rhonda and I as we say goodbye to our sweet babes for now, for traveling safety, and for sleep on the plane - or it is going to be a LONG 26 hours……
Next time I update, I’ll be home!
No comments:
Post a Comment